View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 11:08 PM

Really cool buck and well done. I have yet to take a buck on the last day of a season, not that it matters. No whitetail for me this year, couldn’t find anything I would want to take and haven’t actually seen much at all.

P. S. I don’t think he will measure 170 or close to it. If you look at how his antlers relate to the skull, it is obvious he is a relatively small guy. The other buck is definitely bigger, in my opinion; I have been wrong in the past though and talking measurements just from the photos is a very difficult thing. The buck you were looking for originally, for example, is probably smaller in real life than he seems to be in the last photo you posted. This is due to the fact that that night photo was taken in motion: the deer was moving his head down, which can be seen from the weird shape of his right ear. The first three photos you posted in that thread are more appropriate for estimating a more realistic score. I still say I won’t be surprised if he measures more than 170.

Now, having said all that, the score does not really matter and definitely does not matter in this case. Tons of character and the dark, very dark, colour speak volumes.

Edit: I guess I should have written all this measurement stuff about the other deer in that other thread. Sorry. Maybe I will copy it there when I am not on my phone.