View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 10:00 AM

My 2017 bush buck.

Great post! I have been inspired my all of the great stories and strategies. Bush buck hunting is definately not for the lazy hunter! Shot this guy yesterday approx. 2.5 quarter sections from my truck in heavy timber/hills (foot access only).
After walking quietly in the bush all morning following deer trails, this guy crossed a very narrow trail around 70 yards in front of me, nose to the ground. I wasn't prepare to shoot...rifle on my shoulder, I quickly tried to get him in the scope but it was too late. He had already crossed into the bush on the other side. I let out a couple of doe bleet sounds hoping he would walk back out...no luck. So I quietly snuck up to where I last saw him cross. Suddenly I heard a branch snap behind me. He had doubled back and came back out on the trail 20 yard behind me! I cant believe he didn't see or smell me because now I was upwind of him. I shouldered my rifle and struggle a little to find him in the scope...he was so close! After the shot, he ran about 30 yards into the bush before expiring. Clearly in full rut with nothing but a hot doe trail on his mind definitely worked in my favour.
Now the hard work began. I drug him by hand for about 1/2 a quarter section. Too tire to continue that way, I decided to walk back to my truck and get the sled. 3.5 hours later, got him loaded.
Lots of foot miles and hard work, but a nice bush buck makes it worh while!

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk