View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 10:07 AM

I dont know a lot about dog parks but I have raced dog teams for 15 years (retired now) and at times had over 40 dogs in my yard. I can honestly tell you that all it takes is one bitch in heat and dogs who have lived together for years will try to kill each other. Dogs roughing up dogs is dogs being dogs. Now dogs biting people is a completely other story. Bite one person and the dog should get the dirt nap. Unless of course that person was stupid enough to put their hands in a dog fight. Then the person kinda gets what they deserve. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

The best way to breed aggresion towards people out of dogs is to get rid of the aggresive dogs. Im not talking breeds here, I am talking about aggressive strains within the breeds. As for breeds I do not feel one is worse than any other. Admittedly some do have higher prey drives or protection instincts bred into them but still like any other animal traits are more prevalent in strains within the breeds. A good retriever or pointer generally speaking has good retrievers for parents. A fast husky comes from fast parents. A good herding collie come from good herding parents. And a naturally aggressive dog comes from naturally aggressive parents. That being said any dog in the world can be made to bite through abuse and neglect

Breedwise I feel that the fact so many people are bit by labs and shepherds is easily explained by the shere number of labs and shepherds. Combine this with the fact that labx and shepx pups are plentiful and cheap and a lot of people that should not have a dog have a lab or shep cross. DNA testing does nothing to correct this as obviously the common breeds come out looking worse. Also i am sure that a lot of people get bit by chihuahuas and toy poodles but that is never reported.

On that topic about dog breeds and bad owners I feel that Rotties, Dobermans, Pits and dogs that look like pits attract a certain crowd that also should not own dogs. Before you linch me I know that a lot of very nice respectable people own these dogs but so do a lot of dirtbags. Not all Pity owners are buttholes but a lot of buttholes own pittys. You know the type. PB as a status symbol, thick spiked leather collar and all.

How do you solve this? No Idea but breed bans seem as sensible as gun bans. In most cases you really are blaming the hammer for driving the nail. Also we do not need more beuracracy about owning a dog. I feel that there is a place for off leash. But if you do not have total control over your dog or your dog has exibited aggresive behavior then off leash is not for you.