View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 07:18 PM

The last few weeks have been pro-active with archery season, work and 2 projects underway.

Project number 1 is a full on F Class build as its at the half-way stage.

Jewel target trigger is in, custom laminated Cheery /Maple knotted wood stock showed up, Pacific tool & guadge bolt from Oregon is soon to arrive,,, Bob Jury full length barrel is in the Counter stages.

The old saying is true,,, once one shoots their first F Class match, there's no turning back.

Been busy reseaching factory reloading stuff that they do.
The reason for this is to speed up my time spent reloading or shooting.
A large % of my shooting is close range from 100 to 600m's so scale bump loading works for this,,, the better consistant powder loading is by volume instead of weigth.

I'm just getting this underway.
My trial and error will be smaller loading test groups in lots of 20.

Each empty case in the row gets the drop pins,,, drop pins are all the same diameter around as they sit flush on the bottom of the cases,,, they are connected on top by a rod in groups of 10 for now.

Then the powder is poored over top, drop pins are removed and the volume in each case is the same,,, bench rest shooters stated doing this years ago, so it's time that I find out for my self if this idea really works.

My scale bump idea works ok, but the powder volumes and weigth is not the most consistant,,, the drop pin idea will hopefully add more in the volume constancy idea.

Well worth trying since reloading close range plinking rounds is time consuming in some ways.

Both rifles will let me know if it works as I'll be able to see the results of this on paper at different yardages.

If it works, what would it look like going forward.

If my friends that do case volume loading are correct, I'm planning on a larger operation for this.

If it saves me re-loading bench time, then I'm game.

Lots of testing in small stages first, fingers crossed at seeing what it looks like on paper.

Don