View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 07:40 PM

I think that any bullet will deflect with grass or small branches.

Sure, you are right .Any bullet will deflect , but the amount of deflection might make quite a big difference between kill, miss or wounded animal.
I don't usually hunt with 243 because prefer different calibers, but when was developing load for my 12 years old daughter found that Barnes 80gr TTSX was very accurate 0.6.-0.7 inch at a very good speed 3300f.s so I had to give it a try and take some animals with it.
Shot a nice mule at 260 yds and really liked the performance . The shoulder was hit and exited on another side. I would say almost no meat damage .Deer run 30 yds and expired .Could not expect better then that.

Shot another deer at 60 yards in a bushes .Deer ran like nothing have happened... Followed her and had to shoot her again to finish in the neck 200 yds away from the place she was shot the first time.
The first bullet made a hole through the guts which did not make me happy at all.
We inspected the place where she was shot and saw a little brunch that was cut by the bullet 6-7 yards before it hit the deer.
It was around 1 foot from the aim point , this is how much the bullet was deflected.
This bullet could also hit high, low, left , right or whatever after hitting this brunch , so I got the deer but consider this as a miss .
Had similar situations usually with 30 cal heavy bullets and did not see for example 30 cal 180 or 200 gr bullets deflect as much as light and fast like that one .
In my personal opinion the bullets for 243 due to very high speed and relatively light weight have to be selected according to the terrain we are hunting very carefully .
Its just my opinion

Last edited by shooter12; 08-07-2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling