View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 10:59 AM

A boot that performs perfectly for one person may be a poor choice for another.

I'll go over a few things I consider when buying a new boot, it works for me.

Before beginning the window shopping process, I'd consider a few questions first:
- What is the dominant topography of the area you wish to hunt?
- What season do you intend to use the boot in?
- What is your metabolism like? Are you hot or cold footed?
- What will your hunting style be like? Spot and stalk or sitting in a tree stand?
- What is your price point?

Topography will determine if you are going to be looking for a low, mid, or high cut boot, ranging from 4" to 12". For example, if you're going to be hunting above the tree-line for sheep you may want to consider getting a very tall or high cut boot that is quite rigid. Typically a quality mid cut boot will be the most versatile but every style has its pros and cons depending on intended use. Low cut boots may provide a light weight option if that is your goal.

Season of course is a determining factor. Do you plan hunt predominantly in the early archery season? Do you plan to hunt predominantly during the late rifle season? Depending on what you're after, an insulated or non-insulated boot will be your options. Of course you could layer socks in non-insulated boots, if that's the case you'll want to make sure to try boots on with the thickest socks you think you'll use, maybe get a size up.

Anyways, I won't go through all the options but there is a lot to consider. Instead of trying on all styles of boots, narrow it down before you start the process. I get a bit obsessive over boots but here's something to think about:
A man spends the majority of his time either sleeping or in his boots. Buy a good mattress, and buy good boots.