View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Kurt the best thing you could do for our fisheries, is lobby for more funding!

You bring up the 70-80s all I said was I didnt want to see a collapse again.
And I still dont.
What you have suggested and how you want it would very likely create what I and others dont want to see again.
If you think a lake/reservoir cant be fished out with a 1 fish limit? It would be just slower than 3 fish limit but still doable in waters close to large cities. On the other hand fishing would be great for a little while. My question is why would you want to chance it. Bear in mind that test netting is done on about a 5 year basis.
Good example was Milk River Ridge. Really really uge walleye in there and closed to fishing. Lobbying to get it openned worked. One fish over 55 from the start. People were catching and keeping 60-80cm fish like crazy. Was amazing fishing. Didnt take long to remove most of the fish over 55. Not collapsed but shows how much fish can be removed and how quickly.

But, I get it, its just so you can fill your plate.
Classic Alberta approach, keep the big ones and wonder what the hell went wrong.

If there was a one fish slot of say 45-55cm, do you think it would have had the same results?

Why would I want to chance it? Because it has been proven to work in other provinces, even on lakes with high fishing pressure.

I'm glad you get it, I'd hate to have to tell you how much I love a good fish fry.

PS, I agree 100% that more time and money should be spent on their conservation efforts.