View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
There is proper management! And it has been improving.
When Walleye crashed in the 80s there was a huge outcry to fix it! They did. Unfortunately those that liked to eat fish switched to pike and perch. I will admit they were a bit slow to react, but the squeaky wheel got the grease. And that is being corrected.
It has been improving? That's why they are switching to zero retention for pike on some lakes now? I'm not sure I agree with your version of improving.

As far as your theory of electronics and how much better we are at angling now, I can't see how the best fisherman in the world can have a bigger impact on a lake with a 1 fish limit, than a fisherman from the 80's with a 10 fish limit?

Zero retention limits have improved walleye limits on some lakes, but it has also had a negative effect on other species. People have been compensating by keeping more pike, creating the need to impose a zero retention limit on pike. It's also creating an unbalanced ecosystem, it's a challenge to catch a pike now a days in walleye infested waters, lakes where you can go and catch 60 walleye in 3 hours but you can't keep any.

I'll admit that I'm no biologist, but the way I see it is in order to have a healthy ecosystem you need a healthy balance.