View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 10:32 PM

So my Ruger M77 dose not like Varget powder for 178/180gr bullets nor for the 147/150gr mid-weitghs.
I'll try 2 different primers next outting too confirm this.

So later in the day a long time friend showed up and he give me his top 7 picks of powders for 150, 165, 175, 180, 190, 200, 212gr bullets.

I was working with 150gr'ers, so I decided too throw the H-4350 into the mix.
Normally I always start in the middle grounds with all powders,,, so after doing 3 shots we found the primers weren't even close too flat and the 100 group was the craps.

After working our way up the ladder the down range groups stated too tighten up and bingo.
We found a winner finally.

Just a fraction off of max H-4350 change the grouping came together.
This by far is the best consistant grouping I've seen so far,,, and now comes the fine-tuning.

Pal Allan is a wealth of old school info when it comes too many calibers from 22 up too 338,,, and 50 years of working the 30/06 world in bolt actions and semi autos has trained him well...

He took the time too explain the powders, cases sizes, neck tensions, bore diameter, and many other factors that factor in "why" each bullet length / weight works with the selections of different powders.

There are 7 too 10 powders that most folks have had the best results from,,, these are the ones that are listed in the reload books,,, that's not saying there isn't 10 on top nor 10 below that shouldn't be over looked either. LOL.

I see 3 powders for sure that are entering the 150gr test phases for the 150gr.

The 3 powders for the 178/180 bullets after that.

Kinda neet too get this info down on paper for a later date when needed as Allan shared his simple attack plan at figuring things out.

Finally on the path of least resistance when it comes to reloading, I had part of it sorted back in my day for a few other caliber rifles, but slowly forgot alot of it when I did the archery thing.

Now its refreshed as I step up my game plan.
Funny how one person can make it click with simple conversation, and put it down on paper too explain the concepts.

Don