View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 07:58 PM

By going to cast lead/lynol boolitz with Red Dot powder will save me multi hundreds of funds.

The boolitz work out too $0.02 each.
A 1 lb can of powder will do 500 to 538 rounds.

Non gas-check boolitz are fun too plink with, and some folks use them for small predator control, 110 to 150gr'ers. The heavier boolitz work for this too.

The gas-check boolitz in the heavy grain work for deer as they claim up too 200 yards if the re-loader person can get these boolitz up to 1600 too 1800 ft-per second. I would limit anything like this too 100 + yards...

If a person does a good job at the casting and re-loading thing,,, then entering the 600 yard target match series could be an option

Prone, kneeling, sitting and standing free hand with peep hole or iron sights along with sling,,, I'm only guessing there is a 10 lb rifle rule.

Cast lead boolitz were the only option for the 30/06 back in its day,,, they were still in use at the beginning of world war II if I recall.

The 30/40, 303, and 30/06 all worked well with what they had back then, and it seems that the return too cast lead alloy boolitz are slowly coming back. This is due to costs.

If we have too pay $60 ish for a lb of powder and $40 for a box of 50 bullets, then for those of us that choose to keep our costs in check, then this is another option.

It works for me since I have my old lead casting stuff from my Black powder muzzle loader days, any person can make their frugal lead cast set up.

The cautions are keeping a very keen eye and mind when loading pistol powders into rifle cases,,, *** A person does not ever want too put in a double change ever.***

And glasses, leather gloves with venting,,, I wear my fire proof jacket since I've had the opertunity too see a hot molten lead disaster up close,,, dam lucky I am.

I've had good success with round ball and Mines over the years, now its time to bring this too what we consider the modern cartrage age here in Alberta.

Many of us know that the 45/70 folk benefit from these boolitz even today as they take on the thick skins here in our Americas. They have a proven track record with there heavy hitters.
Not so much as the mid weight like our Odd-6, but they have enough too tackle the small Deer category

I'm not up too speed on this 30/06 cast boolitz thing, but I'm soon too find out pretty soon.

Don

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 07-06-2017 at 08:05 PM.