View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 06:38 AM

I hear yha.

Some of us have seen a few close calls like this over the years,,, hopefully these close calls get us thinking a bit.

Group gathering of more than 3 people is when I "my self" start thinking about stuff,,, I picked this up at the Lacombe and Ponoka shooting ranges back in the day. Drumheller and Leithbridge along with others have real good systems in place as well.

I've had the odd fellow at the range spot things I was missing out on which is good,,, being that I wasn't much of a house keeper with too much stuff cluttering up the firing station. Ha. "younger me learned fast too keep gear and stuff sorted from there on in."

Any-who,,, I think it's ok too chat with others at any range too let them know what our game plan is, then find out what theirs is.

Its easy too ask them that "if" they see something out of place too let me know, and if they need anything in return like this for them selves I'd be more than willing too be their spotter if they "would like."

My idea or thought of a Spotter is someone standing back watching what I or others are doing at the line.

This was what I was doing at the far end firing line I was at.

Like my long time range brothers / old-timers say.
I'll watch for you as you watch for me,,, after 40 or 75 years of shooting even I've been known too slip up. LOL. This was their words...

My claim too fame is the top edges of a truck tail-gate, box side, a leather coat as a shooting rest where the collar popped up too catch the bullet from my M1 GRANDE,,, leather coat flopped me on my face as it pulled out from under my elbo... and I don't remember alot of the other stuff. The leather coat flew about 20 feet, and boy oh boy was it stretched out. The collar took some twisting too get back into shape,,, never poked a hole threw it as the projectile caught the layers of sticking.

I dam near shoot the leg off my bench telescope one time, and I shoot my best group ever on the fellows target beside me. LOL.

He even let me keep his target at the end of the shoot. Ha.

Nothing wrong with asking if one wants too be or have a Spotter so long as we are all out there too learn and have fun. Don

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 06-19-2017 at 06:44 AM.