View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 01:15 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Sometimes stopping harvest after the damage is done doesn't fix it in a time scale that we can see.

That NW AB study area went from grayling everywhere to no grayling at all just due to impacts from researchers.
I don't believe harvesting had anything to do with the decline and therefor I don't believe it will do anything for recovery.

To understand the problem one has to know a bit about the streams they were in, Streams like Grayling Creek, Wolf Creek, Goffit Creek. And many more like them.

These are small streams far off the beaten track where almost nobody goes.
They average a few feet across and a few feet deep in the deeper pools.
They meander through unbroken forest where there are no roads or people.

Research has been done in some of the larger streams to the south, but so far as I know, no research has been done or is being done on this population.
At least I can't find any evidence of research on the internet. And when ACA was conducting a Walleye tagging program here a few years back I asked them about researching Grayling and was told that they were not aware of any work being done in the area with regards to Grayling.

George Bernard Shaw