View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
Where are you located?
You, most likely, have Tree Swallows. To my knowledge, aside from the large Purple Martins, only Tree Swallows and Violet Greens will use nest boxes. Tree Swallows are by far the most common in nest boxes.
If you want Mountain Bluebirds, you need to hang your boxes in pairs. Tree Swallows are more aggressive than Bluebirds and will occupy one, but will not tolerate another pair of Swallows nesting close. They will tolerate Bluebirds, so you end up with one box with Bluebirds and another with Tree Swallows. Hang them within 10-20 feet of each other. If you hang boxes singly, and scatter them around, you will likely not have Bluebirds as the Tree Swallows will occupy all.
Swallows are insect eaters.
Hi, I'm over in DeWinton.
Yes I hung them all in singles, talking with a friend he said along the same line as you about dbl up the boxes.
He thought that the type of terrain played a part in getting the bluebirds back, as in how long and type,of grass ?
I like the swallows, definitely white chest, not much on the sparrows using the boxes.
I really blew it when I had a bunch of old fence & corrals pulled down along with some bird boxes. Did not realize they were the bluebirds now can't get them back.
Will run through the rest of, season with what I have & locate some more in spring.
Thank you for advice, didn't realize the many different species around , allot are quite cool.
Latest is what I think is a sharp shinned hawk, likes the sparrows!