View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
LOL So your not saying. Looks like you had a great trip, I would be a little intimidated fishing for such potentially large fish from a kayak. Nice pics.
We only caught 4 and on 3 different baits(eulichon, roe and lamprey). Some guides were doing noticeably better so must have had a bait dialed in but I don't know what it was or if it was one of the above what their tricks for rigging it up, scents etc.

Kayak fishing for these sturgeon takes experience and proper gear, I definitely don't recommend that people just go out and try it. The Fraser is a big powerful river and you need experience knowing where and how to anchor, how you are going to land/release fish, how to avoid the power boats and tugboats etc. This time of year a guy also needs to be wearing a drysuit just in case you end up in the water. I would never go try this without first going out with a local that can show you the ropes on how to do this, it was a big learning curve even for me.

People just wanting to go out and catch sturgeon are better off going with a guide, you will catch more fish and bigger fish. I just like the extra challenge so choose to do it this way. One of these times I will get my 9 fter . Hopefully I can start with a 7-8 fter to get me ready though lol.