View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 11:16 AM

There are different muzzle breaks that are designed to not make the concussion louder for the shooter. I have had a few guns with breaks. One was a standard model on a 7mm STW. I had to make a quick shot or 2 one year when hunting. Couldn't hear a thing for 2 days, and every year on the hearing test a definite dip on one ear. I had another 7mm wildcat that had the first ports angled outward, and the blast was much reduced. I also had a 338 with a slotted break. The first ports were also angled. It was no different even being on the next bench than a non breaker 30-06. I just picked up a 300 SAUM with a VIAS break. They are supposed to be the quietest break you can get. It has a bunch of holes on the muzzle end to allow the gasses to escape forward also and not push too much out the sides. No idea how it works as I haven't got the stock on it yet. But when I'm done my build it should be under 7 pounds. Will see if the break is needed or not.

I have been around a few rifles that were much more concussion to shoot than most braked rifles... the .50 desert eagle was certainly up there. Short barreled 7x57, and 7mm08. Then most of the 7mm mags with a 24" or less barrel tend to have a punch in the nose type blast.