View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 08:38 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Last Friday I went to check four traps on wood stands made from dead branches in a lodge run and they were gone! I'd secured all of the traps to extension cable and anchored it to the lodge. When I started pulling on the cable I found that everything was still all attached, including the stands, but it was all tangled together and submerged under the ice......what a friggin mess and lots of weight to get out.

After untangling, pulling and sorting everything out, I finally started getting my stands and traps out one by one. Perfect catch 56 lb beaver in the second trap. As I was pulling the third stand over the edge of the ice up comes a big beaver foot in a 330 and.....bloop....the foot slipped out and gone. The darned thing had thrashed around long enough to destroy everything before expiring!

Tomorrow I'm going out to do my checks and set more traps so I'm going to try to retrieve it. I'm hoping that it floated up but with that ice cold water it may take a little longer than usual. I'd sooner that it floated up but I'm thinking lake trout ice fishing rod and a few jigs. It's too cold to go for a swim just yet....lol.
If that doesn't work, a treble hook wired to a stiff pole might.

That's gotta be a sick feeling seeing it slip away. I hardly ever used Coni's under the ice so it's not something I have experience with.

George Bernard Shaw