View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 08:16 AM

Guess it's my turn to come out of the closet.

I always knew I wasn't the same as others. I finally figured out that I had Aspergers when I was in my fifties. Learning how to work with my strengths is easy, learning how to deal with my weaknesses is not.

I have started to tell a few people about it now, with varied results. I tell medical people like doctors and dentists and chiropracters because they have the right to know. But when I tell friends of long standing about it, I get disbelief. They thought of me as normal, with a bit of different thrown in for good measure.

The Big Bang Theory has been mentioned and it is a show I can relate to. I am not as gifted as Sheldon is, but I am not as fouled up as he is either.

Very often when I tell some one about it, they will have a story about a relative or a friend that has it.

I think it is more common than most people realize. I believe there are a lot of older people, like myself, that have it and don't realize it. They would have been long gone from the school system before educaters even knew about the syndrome.