Thread: 30 cal???
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
I'm really enjoying your bullet performance 101 BTW as I'm always open to learning something new. No attack intended.
Since you're intent on keeping this civil, I'll respond.

Quote:
Perhaps you should check out the constants that contribute to BC. I'm sure you will find that the variable, (namely velocity) input has the least to do with establishing true BC. Actually, BC can be pretty well established (and is) without velocity input. As I suggested in a previous post -"check it out"
Believe me, I'm extremely familiar with ballistic coefficients, their factors, calculations, form factors, drag coefficients, G models, etc. Let me tell you, velocity does not affect a properly modeled ballistic coefficient. Coupled with an accurately modeled BC, velocity certainly affects a bullet's flight characteristics, though. But I'm not sure where you're going with that one, since I'm not talking about external ballistics at all anymore, I'm talking about terminal performance. Velocity matters. An increase in impact velocity correlates to an increase in expansion aggressiveness, and usually results in an increase in tissue damage.

Quote:
Pretty ambiguous. What do you want to penetrate ? rib cage.? shoulder ? 3"? 15 "?.. or end to end.
Some like to see an exit in may instances. Killing an animal is not like lawn bowling or curling and distances are seldom fixed. Tell me, how do you determine "enough" penetration - no more.. no less.
I left it ambiguous for a reason. As I said in a previous post, each individual needs to decide what type of animals he's hunting, what types of shots he'll take, and consequently, what type of penetration is required. The penetration requirements of a guy who takes nothing but broadside shots on deer are quite different from a guy that takes end-to-end shots on bull moose. As an example, I've witnessed the 7mm 140gr TTSX penetrate stem-to-stern on bull moose, cow elk, and several deer, leaving exit wounds in all, in addition to other shot angles taken on a variety of animals. For my uses, that is "enough" penetration, and a bullet with a higher SD that theoretically penetrates more won't offer any benefit. Does the 160gr TTSX have a higher SD? Sure. Will it kill better than the 140? No, and in fact it typically results in less impressive killing performance, IME, because it arrives with less impact velocity at the distances I typically witness the use of deep-penetrating bullets like the TTSX.

For my needs, the 140gr TTSX penetrates "enough" and does plenty of damage along the way, so I see no need to use a bullet with a higher SD that may penetrate deeper into the tree on the other side of the moose.