View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdsl View Post
A tikka/sako is for sure on my watch list, but the ones I have held (not shot) didn't feel really nice to me. I know they have a real reputation for being amazing shooters but the fit has to be there. Beggars can't be choosers though when it comes to used I guess.
Sure they can . With the number of used rifles for sale you can afford to be picky, and with your 270 you've already got a good rifle for elk. Get a 150 gr load or ammo for it that works well and use it as your primary elk rifle until you find something else you like, then it'll be a great backup for elk.

Since you've already got something reasonable and are wanting something bigger I'd look hard at a 300 wm, 35 Whelen, 338 wm, or 338-06. All are a significant step up in power from a 270 but have less recoil than a 375 h&h or ruger. Prophet River typically has 35 Whelen ammo in stock. The win mags have great ammo availability and range, while the 35 Whelen and 338-06 are a little harder to find but have plenty of killing power and reasonable trajectory out to 300 yds.

I've developed a bit of an irrational obsession with 35 Whelen and 7mm-08 which is the other good reason to pick a cartridge or rifle. It's not necessarily better than one you've got or others you're considering but there's just something about it...