View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 03:49 PM

I have both the .22 mag and .17 Hmr, have owned a .22mag for three decades, shoot thousands of small game, and a few deer, goats and pigs, (Not in Canada) with in sensible ranges, and with heavy for cal bullets(50g federal softpoint) the .22 mag, can be used for lightly built, game animals at close range,

The .17 is more accurate, shoots flatter and is less affected buy wind, it's really only a small game round, I have been very happy, with one on gophers, but find it lacking on rabbits, possums, turkeys and hares, it's doesn't have enough bullet weight, to full penrtertae a 15-20 lb hare, when both the humble .22 and .22 mag will.

Really depends on what your using it for, I take a .17 Hmr for gophers any day of the week, over both the .22 and .22 mag.
But I would have a .22 mag, if game like, hares, fox, rabbits, feral cats, coyotes or beavers are likely.

Personal choice, neither are better that the other, each has its own strength, and weakness, I would check ammo price and aviablity, as both these rounds, have been spotty in supply, the last few years.