View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Professori had some really good tips for you. The other thing I would add is to use thin thread. 8/0 Danville is a good one. Benecchi 10/0 or 12/0 is nice and thin. Also Nano Silk from Semperfli is beyond thin and the strongest thread on the market.

I have tie lots of chironomids and sometimes it is way easier and more effective to just use your tying thread for the whole body. I really like the dark olive Danville 8/0 with a black UTC fine wire rib. (As Professori said tie it in just behind the bead all the way to the bend of the hook). I like to stop just opposite the barb. Be sure to make a nice taper from the bottom of the fly just being one wrap of thread and start tapering the thread about the top 2/3 of the fly up to the the width of the bead. I usually tie mine on a size 14 to 18 hook with a black bead head. It is one killer chironomid.

I've caught some nice rainbows on a blue chironomid on Roche and Tunkwa lakes out by Kamloops. In fact when I tied my first blue one's was about 20 years ago. I didn't have any blue thread with me so I just used a white thread and coloured it with a blue sharpy. They were deadly. Since that day I always have had a couple blue chironi's in my box.

Your first flies are about 500% better than my first one's that I tied back in 1979 when I started tying. I would be happy if mine were as nice at that one you tied.

Keep up the good work.
Thank you sir for the tips and kind words, i am going to try the pattern that you shared!