View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 09:28 PM

My only experience with Barnes solids was a whitetail buck. Slight quartering towards shot at under 100 yards I would estimate. 25-06 with factory TTSX. Heart lung shot that existed on offside, deer ran about 200-250 yards full tilt after the shot until he tipped over. Pile of hair at the impact location, zero blood for the first 100 yards, and small sprayed out specks of blood the last 100-150 yards. There was snow on the ground and I was able to watch the first half of the deers death run, otherwise it would of been a more difficult tracking job. This is the furthest I've ever had a deer run that was shot through the boiler room. Entrance side lung looked like I poked a pencil through it, far side lung looked a bit better. Nothing like Chucks moose heart picture. I found them to be slow killers with my one and only experience with them on a very well placed shot at close range. I have much better luck with partitions giving me large wound channels, with massive internal damage (liquid lungs), and very good penetration. Maybe the Barnes results are more pronounced with critters like elk and moose, but I prefer bullets that shed some weight internally and still get good penetration.