View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 06:52 PM

I personaly have only shot a few animals with Barnes bullets, but have seen quite a few hit the ground when I was hunting with others that were using them. I mostly hunt with cast or cup and core bullets.

Sometimes I heard the hit dramatically like the one this year at just over 100 yards with no bone hit, sometimes not, like the one deer I shot that was quite a it further out.
I have noticed no appreciable difference in the killing power of any of the numerous bullets and cartridges I have used over the years nor in the cartridges that I loaded for the many people I know except for one big one thing.

If the animal was hit in the lungs - one or both, or in the shoulder, or the neck, they were almost without exception recovered within 50 yards or sorter, n matter the rifle or cartridge used.
ALMOST! There have been a few exceptions but few.

If they were hit anywhere else , it took a very long while or they were not recovered.
The type of bullet had nothing to do with it, the shot placement however did, and that includes everything from the 250 Savage to the big magnums.

Cat