View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I've only gone to wainwright once but did use real black powder. I loaded and left the gun in the truck for the three day hunt with no issues.

Here's my understanding about condensation, a temperature differential causes the moisture in the air to condense on surfaces, we've all seen this on a beer glass. In a loaded gun the only air is in the barrel and mine is taped off so really there's very little air available and what there is contains a minuscule amount of water vapour. Unless the air is going to get in through the nipple I don't see where moisture would come from.

It's an interesting thing to think about though. It's cold enough outside right now to do a test. I can't because I live in Calgary and nowhere to easily shoot off the charge at the end of the test. I wonder is someone could give it a try though...load the charge with a PRB or lead bullet seated. Bring the gun in and out of the cold for a couple (few?) days. Wipe the condensation off the outside of the gun so it doesn't rust of course. Then put on a cap and see what happens?

PEte Ward if you're reading this....I nominate you!
I've taken my .50 percussion muzzleloader in and out of the camper at least 8 times this November. It's still charged and if I remember this thread when I finally fire it off I'll let you know how it goes. It's loaded with triple 7, not real black powder.