View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMiss View Post
Thanks!!! I'm not too worried about the recoil since I am shooting a 300 win mag and I was under the assumption that those kick pretty hard... I've never shot anything other than the 300, my .17, some smaller shot guns (.410 and 20 guage) and some .22s. I am, however, concerned about the weight. The rifle I shoot now is just way too heavy. I usually rest it on downfall in the bush or the bench at the range so that I can get a relatively accurate shot. The wobbles are bad.
Again it comes down to the fit. If the rifle doesn't fit properly, it feels off balanced and the wobbles get horrendous when you are trying to support it in an uncomfortable position. In your previous post you said that after the fact you do notice the recoil and you don't think you could handle too many shots from that gun.
That is, in my opinion too much recoil. With a proper fit this may go away. It may not. A 300 is alot of gun. Although it is efficient, it is far from necessary for what you described earlier.
In order to be good you have to shoot lots. No two ways around that. If you shoot lots with a gun as you described above then you will develop a flinch sooner or later. We can't outsmart our brains no matter how hard we try and your brain will be telling you it will hurt so you jerk the trigger in anticipation of the recoil.
There are plenty of models to choose from but don't overlook the signs of being recoil shy. We all have our limits. I am a big guy and I draw my line at the 7mm Rem mag. That is enough for me. I don't need any bigger so that is where I'll stay. Yes I can handle more but it isn't comfortable for me at the range, so until I can scrounge up the money for a custom that fits properly I won't go bigger.