View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgz View Post
Hey everyone. I've been fishing the glenmore reservoir lately and have been successful catching pike on most trips with spoons. I brought out my fly rod to target trout but have been skunked most times. I would rather catch some trout that I can bring home and BBQ but find catching the pike fun even though I always release. I'm wondering if anyone knows a way that you can target both species so that I have the option to catch both pike and trout using the same method and don't have to target one species alone. It seems to me that a lake with trout and pike together is pretty rare so I don't know if there are any methods that work for both fish. The trout never seem to hit the spoons and the pike never seem to eat the flies.

Thanks!
Except for spring pike and walleye, I fly fish almost exclusively. I catch the odd pike on the Bow River when using streamer flies. wooly buggers, medusas, bow river buggers all catch both pike and trout. The biggest issue is, most of the time, by the time I confirm I have caught a pike, the line breaks because I do not have a pike-appropriate leader.

Like others have said, I would target either pike or trout, not both.