View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 02:45 PM

Default Klondike Trail

I grew up North of Onoway. My grandfather settled 2 quarters here in 1949.The Klondike Trail ran through both quarters. An original house ,that was a stopping point there, still stands, although not in the original spot. Sadly it to is just about done for. The wagon ruts were still visible and as a kid I remember the bones and horse skulls from horses that died along the way. There was 3 piles of rocks reported to be indian graves but I never had any confirmation. A few years ago they finally put signs up designating the Trail. Mother sold the North Quarter a few years ago and the new people now have a HUGE house going up right on the trail.My mom wrote an article in the Barrhead paper when they did a Klondike Trail Reride,about 1968,although I may be off on the year. The riders stopped over and spent the night there.
The original Sion School was also on this land and the school was moved off. The foundation is still there and a little log horse shed was still standing until recent years also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_0474[1].jpg (43.3 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_0475[1].jpg (42.7 KB, 219 views)