View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 10:42 PM

Default a couple questions on form/shoulder injury

I'm very new to this hobby and have been practicing on my compound for about a week now each day. When I first started I was worried about the draw weight so I bought a bow that was 60lb. I started out with it backed all the way out. After learning to use my back muscles, I really have no difficulty drawing it back or holding it there.

However I have been told that I should be comfortable holding my drawn bow for up to a minute if required. The difficult thing is not to hold the string back, but the weight of the bow on my forward arm and my shoulder. It really feels the burn after about 10 seconds or so to the point where I can't shoot for more than a dozen arrows before I need to take a break, and I really struggle to hold the bow steady.

Turning my elbow out and keeping my arm slightly bent makes it that much worse. I have an old left shoulder injury, dislocated a few times, and I wonder if this is normal and something I can train through. Or should I just switch to a LH bow. On the scale the bow weights 5.6lb which I'm not sure is heavy or light?