View Single Post
Old 04-16-2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I spent the day on the road. This far north, CBC is the most reliable signal so guess who I listened to.

Anyway, they talked alot about this court ruling, interviewing key players and experts on the matter.

From what I heard this settles nothing. What it does is clarify Metis status as natives and therefore subject to the same rights as natives.

The details will have to be worked out is subsequent court cases.

I have mixed feelings about it all. On the one hand I'm glad. I've seen close up how the government deals with Metis, and non status natives and it's unjust to say the least. On the other hand, I've seen government run rough shod over the rights of many others who have no political clout.

Still the whole issue creates two classes of citizens and I think that works against the best interests of all concerned.

From a legal point of view it seems to me that there is only one way to proceed. And that is to honor Canada's commitments and promises.

I suspect that in the end that will do more harm then good, but a promise is a promise. A contract legal and binding.

Adding one injustice on top of another solves nothing. It's long past due, that Canada live up to the contracts and promises it made to natives and their offspring and that includes Metis.
Just a comment on the bolded statement: that is better than 5 or 6 classes of citizens isn't it??