View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 12:26 AM

Well I'm back. Had the 11'6" rapala 4 piece rod and a shimano 1800 reel with 30lb power pro and 50lb fluoro leader. That part of the set up was good.

1oz croc spoon won't cast far but can catch lots of small aquarium fish near the rocks.

Big stuff like the Gibbs 2oz spoons cast far but have no action and won't pop on the surface.

2oz rapala X raps worked good but we're to bulky to fly far. I had big fish on the X raps. Either roosters or big jacks and they would take me into a little rock pile and bust me off.

I also had some nice snapper I'm guessing? Fishing right in the big rocks that would also bust me off but fishing there in the big rocks I guess that's to be expected.

Caught puffer fish and other sea perch small bass looking stuff with a sliding rig and shrimp on the bottom with a 4 oz pyramid.

Needed some different 2-3oz stuff to cast way out to where fish were seen working bait. Cabo killers and rangers I've read are suppose to be the ticket will order some for next time.

Thanks for the advice Don. Like you say you need something that flys like a dart and stays on the surface. Found it more entertaining then 7hr charter anyways.

Let me know if you know of any shore fishing guides in Mazatlan. The riu was nice will go again.