View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Lefty,,, in the short term yes, I will give you that,,, but over the long term there will be a "market correction".

The current use of 999 along with the ability to apply for a number of special draws each year encourages and rewards priority hoarding in multiple draws. You cannot expect the stockpiling of priority points by increasing numbers of hunters in multiple draws to not have an impact when those chickens finally come home to roost.
You have to look at it differently...

The increased number of hunters in the draw and low tag allocation is the issue! Not the 999 folks. Every year they choose 999 they are opting out of being chosen. Which allows someone else to draw. If a person 999's themselves out of the draw for many years they may pass on several tags they could have held.

This helps the lower priorities! Then when they do draw, it's one tag and the priority resets!

The biggest impact is the number of people in the draw NOT those who choose to 999.

999 actually helps! Because without it you have more people actively entering the draws and more people who don't plan and more tags not getting used, because there will come a point they HAVE TO PULL A TAG. Where as a 999 could opt out of the draw forever and never get pulled. If they had to enter with no 999 option everyone (with certain exceptions) would get pulled eventually.

Certain draw are nearly mathematically impossible to pull now because of sheer Hunter numbers and low tag allocations. No one will live to 300-400 years old which is how long you need if you want a 437 sheep tag. If you just start entering now it would take you that long.

Because even in the old system with no 999 people would always enter to increase a priority point and some would get surprised by being picked when they didn't want to. If you 999 you can't be chosen.

If I wait 15 years for a tag that normally would take 7 don't I deserve a tag after waiting 15 years? If I don't want to go earlier, 999 allows someone else a tag that I could have pulled.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-05-2016 at 06:53 AM.