View Single Post
Old 11-18-2015, 07:16 PM

Question Surface rust on new rifle

Hey Everyone!

So I bought my first rifle, a new stainless steel Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 (and I love it!). I purchased the rifle over the phone and picked it up in the box and brought it home. But, when I got it home and took it out I noticed some surface rust.

I switched the recoil pad to a limb saver and the screws were covered in rust and what looked to be some sort or white build up. I sprayed the screws down with G96 and scrubbed them with a brass brush and that seemed to help quite a bit. Then I tried to clean where screws go in with G96 and patches. The barrel doesn't seem to have any rust spots on it, but there are small spots over the action and on the bottom where it is sits in the stock. I've just been soaking it in G96 and wiping it off with rags and it seems to be helping and has removed some spots, but it appears I've reached the max that will remove and there are still some stubborn ones. It's not crazy bad, but I just want to baby this rifle as I need it to last me a long time.

Anyways, I'm new to the sport and have no sure what I should do. After searching online and on old posts on here, people suggest some steel wool and oil, but I couldn't find much on stainless steel barrels. Any suggestions? Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!