View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post
I'll throw my two cents in, I just use those ice fishing rod combos from Canadian tire. They're 20 or 30 bucks. I've had two for about 7-8 years now and have pulled in a lot of fish with them. Trout, pike, walleye. i like putting "good" line on them each year(by good I mean it's a little more than the cheap stuff lol), and spend a fortune in new lures. I've used triline the last while and it works well. I hang a little bell on the tip of my rod when I'm doing other things in my hut. I know I don't have the pricey gear but I catch fish. I used a hand auger until a couple of seasons ago when I picked up one of those ion electric augers. That thing is amazing enjoy the season!
Great suggestions. Make sure you change the line on any reel you may have purchased.

I have an electric Ion as well. Great machine. I had hand auger for 20 years and spare set of blades. Early ice is great, but get into Feb. and 4 holes is a chore.

You don't need much to get started. I started with a spool of line in my hand and maybe 10 lures with a 4 inch hand auger.