View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkchaser View Post
I agree with most opinions and advice give. Iam glad to see that I am not as out to lunch thinking these guys are over extending way past there limits I originally posted I have a 60 yd max I wanted to add that at 60 i would only be confident shooting at a Moose or elk under ideal conditions . A deer 40yds is about it . I passed a buck last weekend at 24 just because of a few twigs and branches . Should I have shot ? Chances are I would have probably got him . But I wasn't 100% so no go . I have seen guys make what you think are great shot,s and still have a hell of a tracking job or even lose animals . I am still wondering what kind of energy is even left after 80 to 120yds and should you even be thinking about it ? Will it break bone ? Seems like to many things can change in the few seconds it takes that arrow to get there even if think you where a crack shot . The other point I didn't add was one of these hunter,s had his 11yr old son in tow that's bowhunting next fall . What is the kid learning now ???

First off, there's no such thing as just a few twigs and branches. A wide open shot at 80yds is much more likely one I'll take before a 40yd shot through the woods.

For your next question, the one about kinetic energy, although I only have physics 20, I can tell you that the kinetic energy left in an arrow shot from a 70lb compound bow with a 400gr arrow will have more than enough umph to kill a moose, and will even do a pass thru if you slip it thru the ribs.

I bought my first compound bow when I was 14, it was 28" draw and 70lbs so I am only speaking on these specs as a minimum. I should add that at that time my bow was shooting a whopping 180fps, I can only guess my arrow was probably around 540gr though.