View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Not really. Yes, I call them string guns. same as I call spear guns, spear guns. You don't like it, I'm not going to change. They are not vastly superior, they do offer a distinct advantage over both bows and game animals. They also require a lot less practice and skill to use effectively at similar ranges.

Yes, the separation of the seasons was for safety. However, it is now also a management issue, if you want to split the tags 50/50 then I'd be happy to have any non-firearm tool used. But you can't say "bow hunters only get 15% and we're going to quadruple the number of hunters by allowing crossbows" ...that is straight up greed on your part.

No, hunting crossbows do not predate compounds. They are a recent invention by manufactures to sell stuff. Same as modern inline Muzzleloaders . Crossbows were a weapon of war that was largely extinct, aside from some exhibition type models.

I almost said it earlier, and I will say it now since you brought it up. It's somewhat ironic that a trapper, who should understand mechanical advantage very well, defends crossbows as an equivalent to compound bows. You have seen enough animals to know that point and click is a lot easier than draw, aim and release.
I fully agree if cross bows were allowed in the archery season the 15% allocation would have to be adjusted acordingly. Wouldn't be hard to adjust the allocation.