Thread: 303 brit???
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impatient_hunter View Post
I am hand-loading for my .303 and we are shooting 150 gr. spitzers faster than factory 30-06 ammo. I have shot only deer with it, but out to ranges of 250 yards with no problem and wouldn't hesitate to use it on moose and elk.
I haven't checked, but I would be VERY surprised a handloaded 303Brit can be pushed that fast in a safe load.

This, and the fact that the brass life on those cases is almost non existant.
The brass simply is NOT DESIGNED to pressure up that high.

Several of my friends own Enfields as well as WinchesterM70's in 308 and 30'06, and frankly, they do not like the newer rifles for several reasons, and cannot see any difference in the killing when a moose or deer goes down.
The big difference they see is the scope mounting is easier on the M70 .I have put Bsquare mounts on these Enfields , and the aftermarket stocks fit well with them, but if you are using the original issue butt stock, as Dick said some time ago, stay with they irons.

Here is a little trick that will help those wishing to keep shooting and handloading their 303's.
It is called "indexing".n
before you first fire the brass, mark the edge of the rim of the case with a SMALL file mark just enough to notice it , and put this mark up when you load it in the magazine or drop it into the breach.
Use a Lee Collet die or the Lee hand tool to neck size the brass, and after you reload the case, always put the cartridge with the file mark up.

What this does is keep the neck sized case in the best orientation to the chamber when it is fired.

BTW, this system does work, and has been used by more than one DCRA shooter and cadet to win matches when the Enfield was king of the range at places like Cannought and Bisley.

Cat