View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with you Omega, but what I was referring to on my comment about the 300% figure was when we did whole or quarter beef cutting test margins, and we did lots. When we had bits and pieces they went into stir-fry, stew and ground trim. That's as far as we processed them. If you were to continue processing into summer sausage, beer sticks wieners and the like your profit 'margin' would go up but your labour input would dramatically go up for the grinding, stuffing and smoking of the product which would cut into to profit margin, so I guess we could say the chuck of beef returned a higher markup on the meat by the pound but the labour cost went up significantly. Still I think there are very good deals on meat right now. Heading to Sobeys as we speak for pork chops for 1.77 per pound. Good deal. And Omega, keep the recipes coming. Gives me inspiration.
For me the offending cut that is the gold standard for high mark up on a Cheap cut is the Chuck Tender.
It is craze!!

Often seen it rival Prime Rib mark up.

If I could only buy one cut of beef for grilling- It would be a big bag of Ball Tips. Grilled and carved