View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 09:29 PM

Rangers are reservists. Definitely military. I've known a few, and like any group, there are some awesome people , and others not so much. They draw heavily from remote, first nations communities, and sometimes just have a different way of doing things. A lot of these guys are tough, smart outdoorsmen, who can function independently without the formal support structures conventional Canadian soldiers require. The flip side of this is they practice non conventional military discipline and routines, and can be quite hard on equipment.

My experience was with C7A1s from 20+ years ago .. they can be hard to maintain in the field in the winter ... especially if you've expended some rounds and still have a few days in the field. Stripping and cleaning outside, not fun ... too many small parts to lose with fingers that are cold and clumsy. Taking them inside was no good, they warm up, and could get condensation, and could freeze/jam when you got them back outside.

I don't know if there are similar issues with existing Enfields, I've not used mine in extended periods in the field.

I'll miss the Enfields. The one we have in the house is still my favorite (a personal, obviously not issued rifle, that my wife inherited from her uncle ... a former Ranger from BC and Saskatchewan) something about uncomplicated wood and metal and all that history.

Hope the new rifle works out.