View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Techer View Post
I was wondering about this. There are 35000 teachers in alberta. So each teacher gets 1/3 of a kid more this year?

There are over 2000 schools in alberta. That's 6 kids more per school. Which probably average out to having 5+ grades per school? Soooo 1 extra kid per grade?

The money/kids thing is a red herring. How much should we pay? What are other districts getting for their money? What's alberta getting?
If I paid you 2x more than I should of last year, then don't increase it this year even though you now have 12000 more students it doesn't mean there isn't funding...

Not saying that this is the case just that 12000 kids blah blah is half the equation. This whole baseline budgeting thing is a great way to vacuum our money up without showing any value.
The system is already stretched. Classes are already large.

1/3 more kid per teacher may not sound like much, but I'm sure you're familiar with the phrases "death by 1000 cuts" and "the straw that broke the camels back".

In personal terms, why don't you work 5 minutes more for your employer per day, for free? Why not just take a 1% income tax increase? Neither of those is much, so it shouldn't really be much of an issue to you. Oh, and how about you do another 5 minutes for free next year, and another the year after that? And give 1% more of your income each year? It's not much.

Right?