View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Gone Hunting

I don't want to derail this thread. Of course Alcohol and firearms don't mix. That is a no brainer. I'm just fed up with guys jumping on someone in nearly every thread. Send the guy an email or go over to his house and sort him out.

There are some awesome pics here guys. I've camped pretty much every way pictured here at one time or other. We used a sheet of poly for shelter on goat hunts and om the other end of the spectrum, we've stayed in cabins. Oh wait, in Africa we were spoiled in the thatch roofed lodges.

We have also slept on a tarp in the horse trailer, under a trap in 2 feet of snow, and under a canopy of stars way above the tree line.

I can't remember a camp that i didn't think was deluxe at least from the standpoint of my great good fortune to be the person in it. So many people live their lives in the city and seldom leave the blacktop. I realize we are all different , but I can't get my feeble mind wrapped around the concept of spending my life without my outdoor adventures.

Hunting, fishing, hiking, and exploring are all part of the outdoor experience, but setting up a functioning camp is one of my favorite things.

Each one has had it's own special appeal.

I remember when I started hunting with a horse. The first year was pretty spartan, as we had no pack horses. The second year we had one packhorse and were able to pack a coleman lantern. It still goes with us today. Simple things make a huge difference.

Of all the ways we've camped I think I like the wall tents the best. There's just something about hanging around and swapping stories with a few close friends in a wall tent.
The weather can be cold outside but inside the heat and smell from the wood stove, perked coffee with a touch of mother's milk in it and the jokes around a rough table. It doesn't get better than that.

I have been on trips where out whole camp was carried on our backs, or on the horses backs, in a plane, or canoe, jet boat, 4X4 trucks, or quads.
In the words of "Papa Bear" everyone of them was "Just right"

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand