View Single Post
Old 02-10-2015, 05:02 PM

Default entrance vs medium level considerations

Nothing wrong with CZ or Yildez as I sold plenty of both when I was behind the gun counter. My personal notes Yildez was light due to alloy receiver so I could see it being a great hunting gun for upland but I had concerns about how the alloy receiver would stand up if I decided to use it for sporting clays trap or skeet. Also recoil in light guns makes them uncomfortable for 100's of rounds in an afternoon. Cz was quite a bit heavier but to me felt unbalanced and front heavy. Fit and finish was what you would expect from entrance level o/u.
Now after you find a shotgun that fits the next order of business is to spend time shooting it. Not sure I would want the pounding a light gun would hand out so would need a heavier gun for 3 inch mags and duck and goose hunting anyway. A poorly balanced firearm when shooting trap skeet or sporting clays is not a lot of fun to shoot as the shooter must compensate for the imbalance of the firearm instead of the firearm doing a lot of the work.
Everyone has to buy what they can afford and if the budget dictates entrance level is all you can afford so be it. consider another factor though. Many people buy entrance level and after a a year or two decide they would like a smoother more balanced shotgun or something that will take thousands of rounds. Because there are so many out there a $900 entrance level gun is likely going to fetch $400 -$500 by private sale (less on trade in, $250?).
However buying a quality used Browning Citori or Beretta for $1000 to $1500 will likely be worth the same amount in a few years should you wish to trade up. Every Citori and Beretta over under I have ever handled had superior balance and workmanship to the entrance level guns so could be used for hunting as well as shooting sports for many years.

If at all possible buy once and cry once. The one and only entrance level shotgun I bought as a teenager lasted less than a year and warranty was 90 days. Manufacturer was one of those named in the title of this thread.