View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007, 11:04 PM
Northern Hunting Mom

Default Re: biggest long term

Many things are reason to be concerned. I do notice that the ingrained independence that most hunters have makes it difficult to unite. One type of hunter does not like another or one group is not willing to muse a voice if another type of hunting is in jeopardy.

I believe that the changing lifestyles of home life can be a great deterrent to getting kids into hunting and fishing. A divorce divides a home and most hunting advocates are the males. They usually have the limited access to their kids and if the separation is bitter, it can hinder the hunter's chance to take their kids out. Also, not all single moms are against hunting so much but they just don't have or make the time. A dead-beat dad makes it difficult for a family to have time for leisure too. The single parent is just too busy working to keep the roof over their heads and the lights on.

I think access to hunting land is secondary but if it becomes difficult to find land to hunt then people who may be willing to hunt cannot find out where they can hunt and quickly lose interest.

Also, the adage, "The hand that rocks the cradle" is true. Since women are the ones who usually take that role then they have to be more than passive about hunting. This may mean that the dads have to watch the kids while the mom goes out for a weekend hunt or course. Where I am, women often go hunting and the dads stay home or elders watch the kids while both go out together. A busy life has to make allowances for both parents to keep youth interested in hunting.