View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack88 View Post
This is 95% of the problem. The sheer number of people here. I do agree with Chuck. He is forward looking to this massive pool of P0 to P4's and how we are going to start dealing with it.

$10 per draw too much? How about this....make a 999 application worth $5 and an actual application in a WMU worth $20. With that said, keep the tag prices the same. You need to change peoples way of thinking come draw time.

You want to decrease wait times? The only way that's going to happen is if Alberta goes into the tank and these hoards or people start moving back home.
This has been winding up for about 6-8 years now. Define what resident really means and go from there.

Look at the Bison draw as an example, 6505 people applied in 2008 with 100 tags given out. This year it's over 10,000 people!!! (35 tags and I know they had a bad kill off)

So Jack, how many NR apply in the draw? How many licences do they acquire each year? Or are you just assuming NR hunters are a significant issue?

As more hunts are put on a draw, as we see every year, the pressure on the draw system increases. Managing more areas for "Trophies", a few bad winters in some areas and dramatically increased predator populations in many areas has all added up to a much more significant role in increasing draw wait times than the increase in hunters.

I earlier offered a suggestion that could Immediately double the number of Antler Mule deer licences available in the draw system. And nobody said a word. Instead of dealing with Wildlife Management issues, many want to take the simplistic road and manage hunters by thinning out their wallet.

If this carries on, We as Hunters, are in for a very rough ride.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."