View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 10:32 PM

Default damascus

Sure glad that the whole world runs when I bring out the damascus barreled shotguns. Makes more cheap opportunities for me to buy them!
This blanket statement that everybody has about them blowing up in my face, is getting really old.
Would I load 3 1/2" shells into an old damascus gun....NO! I would probably leave the Prairie Storm at home as well. But, many damascus guns have been, or can be proofed for modern nitro loads. Not to say that just ANY gun should be tried. Take it to a gunsmith who knows something about them! Check for pitting in the bores. If there is any doubt, due to obvious signs of wear, then yes I would avoid using those barrels.
This blanket statement to avoid using damascus is unfounded. I own a handfull of them and shoot them. Some of them show minor signs of pitting from the corrosive blackpowder , and therefore, I resign myself to using low-pressure blackpowder loads in them. Some are in fantastic condition, and I use a low-pressure nitro load in them
A gun is a tool and I am determined to use them as such! It has to be extremely rough before it is deemed a wall-hanger!!