View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 04:04 PM

All this discussion boils down to basically one thing which is the natural balance of nature. Anytime we screw around with one thing (harvesting, stocking, water quality, etc) things get wacked out of balance. Almost every single species have a single mission to reproduce as much as possible so anything out of balance will screw up what ever dominate species is. That is why I don't understand our regulations in some lakes, ie, 10 pike and 0 walleye, so in a few years we'll have too many walleye and no pike. There really should be some sort of balanced harvesting rules but I think for most people here we're not meat fridge fisherpeople anyways.

HPF -> I don't understand how it would be possible for the lakes up north to have naturally occurring perch populations without predators unless the perch were introduced illegally or all the predators wiped out. Perhaps there are just enough big predators to keep the perch population down or there's enough large perch now that eat the smaller ones.