View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX View Post
New from prophet river. Never been shot by me. Looks like they shot it 2-3 times at factory. Yes flank drive. Thin wall. Fairly new, I never have really had to use SAE sized sockets, mostly metric. No impact tools. I used a prope tiger torch.
I admit that I originally suspected a poor quality socket combined with impatience. I am a big fan of the impact drivers that another poster suggested, they are cheap and often very effective, they are often used by motor-cycle mechanics.

When you say propane tiger torch I am surprised as to me a tiger torch (2.5" dia. flame) has much too big a flame that would be difficult to concentrate as required for this work. IMHO any sized plain air/propane torch is not hot enough to quickly expand the gas tube without also expanding the male plug. I would much prefer a small oxy/acet tip as it is MUCH hotter and easier to direct only where the heat is needed.

Hope you were able to get the gas tube off. It is a good thing you are doing this dis-assembly now and not after several hundred rounds and some moisture. I suggest the use of high temp anti-seize to prevent these problems in the future.

Good Luck, YMMV