View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Jonesy11

Default Browning, Tikka or Sako in .338 Win Mag??

I am finally getting down to business about buying a .338 win mag. I am defintely choosing a stainless synthetic instead of wood for this rifle. I am trying to decide between a Browning A-Bolt, Tikka or Sako. Cost is not really a factor, I am just trying to decide which would be more accuracte in a .338. I currently have a Browning A-Bolt in 7mm which has great accuracy. Also, I noticed the Tikka is quite light in this calibre.......less than 7 pounds in fact, which I assume could result in a significant kick from the .338. Then there is the Sako. I looked at one of the new Sako 85's the other day and am not sure if I like the new look?? Besides, the store didn't have the Sako 85's in .338 win mag yet....and no Sako 75's left.

In all honesty, I would prefer to go with the Browning, since I am so familiar with it already, but since the .338 win mag is not known for the pinpoint accuracy of say a .270 WSM, I was thinking the Sako or Tikka may give me the advantage from an accuracy standpoint.

Another thought that went through my head was, go with the Browning, and if the accuracy isn't quite there, spend a few hundred bucks at the gunsmith for fine tuning. The price may end up being the same, but I get the rifle I'm comfortable with.

Thanks in Advance.