View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
In my area we've got fair numbers of elk. If you talk to the old timers we've never had elk up here until the last 10 or 15 years. With the big elk numbers we've had more cougar and wolves then we've ever had. So that is a question in its self. Do we shoot more elk so we don't have predators or vice versa. It is a cycle I believe. Seen more moose in the last two years then I've seen before. Possible the wolves are making the moose a little more active. I'm unsure. I can't see it any different then with rabbits and lynx. My uncle is a trappers and hunter. He says when the rabbits start coming back so do the lynx. Makes sense to me. He targets most of the fur bearing species but concentrates mostly on martin where the money is at.
Good to hear you have decent elk numbers!! And for sure the predators will follow the increased numbers of them. Pretty tough call on the proper route. Either we step in and control the cycles or I guess we let nature take her course and let the cycles happen but as sportsmen we have to be ok with a number of years with poor population numbers as the cycles hit the low end and things are rebuilding.