View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbuck View Post
So, if wolves are a bigger problem than cats...and sheep and cat hunters are supposedly much better outdoorsmen than us trappers "who are screwing the pooch"( as you put it in the other thread) lol, why doesn't your sheep and cat group go out and try to take some wolves out? In my area, a resident hunter may go out on a general license and hunt and harvest(but not trap or snare) wolves over bait...even on registered traplines...must be the same in your WMU. Also wondering...have you approached any of the local trappers to see if they would take you on as a junior...with your sole purpose to reduce wolf numbers? If the trappers on your end aren't interested in harvesting wolves, these same trappers probably wouldn't mind if you target just the wolves. Have you approached or asked anyone...just curious as to what their response was.
I asked a trapper a few years back in one area I hunt lots and he said he had a partner and wouldn't take just anyone on that he doesn't know anyways because how do you know their ethics or if hes trustworthy. I'm sure this goes with most trappers. Are you gunna sign up just joe blow because he asks to trap wolves?

As for hunters getting out. Some do. I do a fair bit. Have only baited a couple years. Got a couple but most at my sites were nocturnal. Pretty tough hunting them then. Mostly I call. Again with a few harvests but still fairly minimal success. You see far more than you ever get a poke at.

One big limiting factors with sheep country and why sheep hunters in particular wish trappers did more is because hunters have no access. Two feet of snow and -20 it's pretty tough backpacking or bringing horses in but trappers have full run on sleds or Atvs.