View Single Post
Old 12-28-2006, 03:00 AM
Pappy in AB

Default Re: Crossbows

Quote:
If you want to talk special interest group, about 5% of the licenced bow hunters in Alberta are archery only hunters
Now I'll switch and say we have to protect existing minority rights lol.

Quote:
Sharpstick....the crossbow would allow a great number of people that are unable to shoot vertical bows for one physical reason or another to enjoy some of the great opportunities afforded archers
There already is a provision for disabled hunters to use a crossbow during the archery season.

Quote:
Give me some other arguements why crossbows should not be included in archery season and I'll listen and may even be convinced but if the best you can do is that it will get more people in the field and affect your wait for a draw tag, I say boo...freaking...hoo.
I'm concerned that we need more hunters in the field (as you are). However, opening up the archery season to crossbows IS NOT A REMEDY for increasing more hunter numbers. Gun hunters will pick up a crossbow and use it but it sure as heck will not create more raw hunter numbers. You'll have to prove that one to me somehow (good luck on that).

Quote:
For the record, I am a vertical bow hunter too and think something needs to be done to encourage more hunters to spend more days in the field during archery season. I'd happily wait another year or two for special archery permits if it meant we had more hunters in the field.
Why is it a concern that we need to encourage more hunters to spend more days in the field during the archery season? Archery isn't for everbody and thats why it attracts the low percentage. The concern should more properly be focused on recruiting more hunters period and let them decide if they want to kill animals with arrows or lead. More people in the field with bows and arrows is a plus for hunting as much as it is for more hunters in the field with rifles/shotguns/muzzleloaders.

Now isn't thiis better than a bunch of good ole boys all agreeing with each other that crossbows should be included in the archery season?

More archers are welcome in the archery season!!! Get out there!!! Pick up a bow, fling some arrows and enjoy the sport of archery!!!